Tuesday, September 1, 2009

SOMETHING WONDERFUL

As most of you who have visited my blog know I have a disabled 3 year old grandson who being born at 29 weeks resulted in some medical problems and being behind in his physical and mental development.
Yesterday his physical therapist brought the most wonderful gift for him. He now has a wheelchair that he be strapped into in a standing position. Today he was out in our apartment parking lot just wheeling himself all over and having a great time. Now he can play with the other children who live here and chase after them just like they do each other.
It was such a wonderful thing to watch and I must admit that I cried with joy watching him. There has always been some questions regarding how far he would go in mental and physical growth. Lately he has been talking his little head off and also making his thoughts known about what he wants and doesn't want in very distinct words.
I remember the pictures of him when he was first born hooked up to tubes and needles and no bigger than the palm of a man's hand. There didn't seem to be any hope for him.
Today, seeing him wheel himself around and the joy on his face with that new independence, made me really realize that there are things such as miracles whether they are big or small.
Eventually he will walk on his own two legs once he has caught up in his physical growth, but for now he has more freedom than he's ever had before.
And I have had a wonderful day just watching him gain one more bit of independence that makes him a little more like normal children who can run and play any time they want.

1 comment:

nutmegg said...

This is the first time I have visited your blog, but being a mother,grandmother and soon to be great grandmother,I can just imagine your joy at seeing your grandson having fun with his new found freedom I hope life is good to him and brings you and your family great happiness.

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
MI, United States
I am an Aries born on April 1st. College educated and a Marine veteran of the Viet Nam era. Nothing spectacular to say about my life other than I have survived this long because I have a wicked sense of humor that has gotten me through hard times along with the fact that I am a strong woman. I don't give up easily. I love to cross stitch as you can see by some of my work displayed here. Reading is a favorite past time. I enjoy traveling and exploring out of the way places. Most of all I enjoy spending time with my 2 favorite boys Zander who is 5 and his brother Jr. who is 2. They are intelligent, funny and loving. And now they have a new baby sister named Izabella who, I'm sure, will educated them in the art of getting along with girls. If I had a chance to do my life over I wouldn't because I would miss out on having these 3 grandchildren to love. I hope that I can be a part of their lives for many more years to come. I plan on living life to the fullest means possible and hope I can stay healthy enough to do some of the things that I want to.